|Prep Time: 10 mins||Cooking Time: 25 mins||Total time: 35 mins|
You’re in the mood for comfort food but not the kind that is associated with heart attack due to the copious amounts of butter, and unnecessary carbs. You think to yourself ‘Can I have delicious mac and cheese that has healthier?’ That is what we want to provide you as a recipe today. Give you a chance at the cheesy goodness of this recipe with an eye on healthier options and all the benefits that the spices have to offer. So feel free to indulge yourself (within limits) and perhaps treat yourself to dessert for eating well.
One of the key differences in our mac and cheese recipe is we have excluded the breadcrumbs. The primary reason behind this is the pasta would have to be baked and require more cheese, milk, and butter to not dry out. As always we have included spices in our dish, for this one namely turmeric. It is an easy way to consume the spice without the flavour taking over your palette. The health benefits of this spice have been discussed in a previous post.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 fresh Thai pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 3 cups macaroni (cook for 8 minutes or until done)
- Heat skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp. butter.
- When butter melts add flour and gently cook, whisking flour and butter together, until smooth.
- Cook flour about 3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk.
- Gently bring milk to a bubble and continue whisking.
- Allow the milk to thicken a bit, then stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar. Cup at a time.
- In a separate skillet sauté 1 tbsp. butter with chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes until onions are golden brown.
- Add in garlic and continue to cook until garlic has soften. Then add in chopped tomato and pepper cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes add for seasoning salt, Thai pepper and turmeric.
- Combine vegetable mixture to sauce.
- Add cooked pasta to sauce and mix together.