When purchasing tomato sauce at your local grocer there are number of areas one cannot control. For instance the taste is dependent on the tomatoes used to create the recipe not to mention other ingredients (some of which you may not be able to pronounce!). We cannot estimate the freshness of the sauce as we don’t know how long it has been sitting there. Why not take the time to create your own tomato sauce? The aroma, taste, color and texture simply cannot be matched.
Serves: Approximately 750 ml
|Prep Time: 10 mins||Cooking Time: 80 mins||Total time: 90 mins|
- 10 roma (plum) tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 celery, grated
- 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 thai pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. pepper
To roast the vegetables:
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Align all vegetables in a baking tray roast in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Heat butter in a pot on medium heat and sauté onions for a few minutes until they have softened, then add garlic & ginger sauté until golden.
- Add fresh tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the roasted vegetables, and simmer for another 10-15 minutes,
- Add 2 tbsp flour to thicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place to side